Our History

Sedge Garden United Methodist Church entered the year 2000 with a membership of 1030. And although the complexion of this church continues to change (as the city of Kernersville does), there is still much appreciation of our past. We give thanks to God for those Sedge Garden “saints” who went before us in faith and laid the foundation of what would become Sedge Garden United Methodist Church.

The school was known as The Sage Garden School. Sage Garden was the name given to school because of the many sage plants in this community in the 1800′s. Christians gathered at the school to meet and worship together. And later, with 25 members they formed into a congregation with the name Sedge Garden Christian Church..

Soon after in July of 1888, a small church was built near the school house and the membership had grown to 43. Eighteen years later in 1905, the Sage Garden Church building was moved to the site where our present church now stands. The membership had continued its steady rise to 63. Methodism was growing in this area and so in 1910 the Sage Garden Christian church was sold to The Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

With the prominent sedge fields that surrounded the church then (combined with the ever- decreasing amounts of sage plants in the area) the members decided to change the name of the church from Sage Garden to Sedge Garden. Soon afterwards, a new church was built. Older members today still talk about this little white country church, and having Sunday School classes meet in what they called the “chicken houses” behind the church. Membership in those days was around 240. In 1940, a new brick church building was constructed. There was a fellowship hall under the sanctuary (today our Youth Room), as well as some education classrooms.

After the end of World War II, Sedge Garden Church experienced significant growth, and it was clear that the church was ready to be a station church (with a full-time pastor). In 1951 land was given to the church and a parsonage was built. Soon after, Sedge Garden received its first full-time pastor. In 1955 new education facilities were added–membership had reached 490.
With continued growth, the church decided that a new sanctuary was needed. In 1967, the present sanctuary was completed, along with the enhanced educational wing. Finally, in 1986 a new Fellowship Hall was added.